Tuesday, December 20, 2016

Lessons from Craigslist

I have a script that searches Craigslist tools for sale, and sets them into a database so that I can search at my leisure for hidden gems.  And what gems I find. This is not about one of them.

We are writers, you and I. You are here because you are interested in writing, and reading about writing; whether you are procrastinating some actual writing or reading for knowledge and pleasure, well that's up to you. The fact is that you write. It could be poorly, or with beautiful prose, but we all have one thing in common: That voice inside telling us we are not good enough.

We do a pretty good job ignoring it, for the most part. But it does eat at us, and in time, if we don't write, it will win. Sure, we can say "I'll write tomorrow" or "I have an idea, but it needs...", and so you don't write it.

And days turn into weeks, weeks into months, and months years.

I have a script that searches Craigslist tools for sale, and sets them into a database so that I can search at my leisure for hidden gems.  Sometimes those gems are tears shed.

"...but I waited too long."

Think on that, knowing you can never go back and make up for lost time. What story do you want to tell, or will it be some notes found in a drawer of your desk? Some notebook or folder marked "Novel." 

Eric can be found on Twitter at elmwriting, and a part of the Typehammer Podcast.




No comments:

Post a Comment